What Is Uninsured Motorist Property Damage (UMPD) Coverage
Uninsured motorist property damage (UMPD) helps protect you on the road if someone hits you who doesn’t have insurance or is underinsured. If this happens, this coverage can help cover:
- Repair costs to fix your car
- Extra costs if the other driver doesn’t have enough property damage liability insurance
- Damage to your home or other property
We’re here to help protect you and your loved ones on the road. With the AARP® Auto Insurance
Program from The Hartford, it’s easy to get uninsured motorist property damage protection.1
What Is the Difference Between Uninsured Motorist and Uninsured Motorist Property Damage?
Uninsured motorist bodily injury
(UMBI) helps cover your passengers’ medical bills if they’re injured in a car accident caused by an at-fault driver without insurance.
What Are Uninsured Motorist Property Damage Requirements by State?
Depending on where you live, uninsured motorist property damage coverage may be:
- Required by law
- Offered as an optional coverage
Currently, these are the states where uninsured motorist property damage coverage is available:
Be aware that laws vary and states require different policy details and liability coverage amounts. Check your state’s laws about:
- Coverage limits: There may be a minimum requirement for your uninsured motorist bodily injury and personal injury liability limit.
- Deductibles: Your state may have a limit for how much your uninsured motorist deductible is for different kinds of accidents.
- Unknown drivers: You may not receive coverage if an unidentified driver hits you.
Do You Need Uninsured Motorist Property Damage?
Although it’s required, many drivers don’t have car insurance. An Insurance Research Council study found 1 in 8 drivers didn’t have insurance and 1 in 4 didn’t have enough coverage.2
Even if your state doesn’t require you to carry this coverage, it may still be a good idea to have it. If an uninsured or underinsured motorist
hits you, they likely won’t be able to pay the costs to repair your car. The same is true for medical expenses for any injured passengers.
Get a Quote for Uninsured Coverage
Not all insurance companies offer quality coverage. Our specialists can help you get the right insurance or file a claim if you’re in a car accident. We’re an experienced insurance company that makes it our business to support you and your loved ones on the road.
Última actualización: 25 de septiembre de 2023
2 Insurance Information Institute, “Facts + Statistics: Uninsured Motorists”
Divulgaciones adicionales a continuación.