South Carolina Auto Insurance Information
South Carolina requires drivers to carry a minimum amount of car insurance coverage. Whether you live in Columbia, Charleston or anywhere else in the state, it’s important to have the right car insurance in South Carolina to keep you and your family safe on the road.
Since 1984, AARP members and their families have chosen The AARP® Auto Insurance
Program from The Hartford1
for the car insurance they need. Throughout this time, The Hartford has earned a reputation for integrity and trust. That’s why our customers have consistently given The Hartford high ratings for our car insurance claim
Required South Carolina Car Insurance Coverages
South Carolina, like many states, has state minimum coverage requirements for property damage and bodily injury car insurance coverage. When you get car insurance in South Carolina, you’ll need these minimum liability limits:2
The cheapest car insurance will be the state minimum, but South Carolina drivers may also need additional coverage. These auto coverages are also available:
Car Insurance Benefits Offered to South Carolina Drivers
- New Car Replacement:§§ If you total your new car, we’ll replace it with a new one of the same make, model and equipment with no deduction for depreciation.
- Exención por accidente:‡ As long as all the drivers on your car insurance policy have a clean driving record for five straight years with The Hartford, you’ll qualify for accident forgiveness.
- Disappearing Deductible:‡ We’ll reduce your collision deductible on your South Carolina auto insurance over time, as long as you maintain a clean driving record.
- 24/7 Claim Service: Our representatives are available 24/7 every day at 877-805-9918 to help guide you through the claims process.
- Home Insurance Bundling Discount:** Bundle home and auto insurance with The Hartford and save.
Car Insurance Quotes in SC
AARP members can receive discounts on car insurance coverage in South Carolina. Learn more by calling our representatives at 888-413-8970
. They can discuss average rates and driver discounts with you and help you find the best rate in South Carolina. Get a free cotización de seguro para autos
for SC drivers from us today.
Commonly Asked Questions About Car Insurance in South Carolina
How Much Is Car Insurance in SC?
The average price of auto insurance in South Carolina is $1,532. You can compare this to the national average car insurance cost
Does South Carolina Require Car Insurance?
Yes, to drive legally in SC, you’ll need to buy auto liability and uninsured motorist coverage.
Is it Illegal to Drive Without Insurance in SC?
In South Carolina, you must buy the minimum amount of insurance required by state law to drive legally, including liability coverage. However, if you need to insure a car and you don’t have a license, you can still contact your insurance company and get car insurance with no license
What Laws Impact Teen Drivers in South Carolina?
South Carolina has graduated licensing laws to make sure young drivers gain the experience they need to be safe behind the wheel. These laws limit nighttime driving and restrict other teens from being passengers in their car. They also ensure teen drivers in South Carolina get an adequate amount of supervised driving practice.
Get a Quote for Auto Insurance in South Carolina
Last Updated: October 5, 2023