Austin, TX Car Insurance Requirements
coverage limits vary depending on where you live. The state minimum coverages for car insurance in Austin, Texas are:2
Auto Insurance in Austin, TX
There’s so much to see in Austin. From the University of Texas to the Circuit of the Americas, experienced Austin drivers like you can feel protected no matter where you’re headed with the AARP®
Auto Insurance Program from The Hartford.1
Through this program, The Hartford has been protecting drivers in Austin, Texas and their families with car insurance since 1984.
The Hartford is an insurance company known not only for our products and services, but also for outstanding customer service. With The Hartford, you’ll get the best Austin auto insurance for your needs from a company that’s earned a reputation for integrity and trust. If you’re looking for a quote for car insurance in Austin, TX, you’ve come to the right place.
Benefits of The AARP Auto Insurance Program From The Hartford for Drivers in Austin
Drivers in Austin may be eligible for car insurance coverage and beneficios
- New Car Replacement: If you total your new car, your policy will help pay to replace it. Your car will be replaced with a new vehicle of the same make, model and equipment. There will be no deduction for depreciation.§§
- Exención por accidente: We understand every driver makes mistakes. Si los conductores incluidos en su póliza de seguro para autos tienen un buen historial de tránsito durante ocho años consecutivos con The Hartford, será elegible para la exención por accidentes.‡
- Disappearing Deductible: Your collision deductible could be reduced over time, in most states, as long as you maintain a clean driving record.‡
- 24/7 Claim Service: If you have an accident, you can call The Hartford anytime at 800-243-5860. We can help you with your claim, no matter what time of day or night you need us.
Discounts on Car Insurance in Austin, TX
If you’re an AARP member, you can save up to 10% on auto insurance in Austin. You may also save money on your insurance premium by:
- Completing an approved defensive driving course.
- Bundling your home and auto coverage. You could save up to 5% on your auto insurance and up to a 20% on your home, condo or renters insurance.
- Paying your premium in full.**
- Participating in The Hartford’s TrueLane Program. You can receive up to a 12% discount just for signing up. Then, based on the safe driving habits you demonstrate, you could save up to 25% when you renew.‡‡
- Having safety features in your car, like antilock brakes or more than one airbag.
Other Types of Coverages for Car Insurance in Austin, TX
To be sure you have full coverage car insurance, you may want to add on some of these optional coverages, including:
- Seguro integral para autos: This can help pay for damage caused to your car by hail, theft, fire or hitting an animal. Comprehensive is also known as “other than collision” coverage.
- Cobertura por colisión: If you get in a single car accident or an accident with another vehicle, this coverage can help pay for damages. It’ll also cover you if you’re in an accident in a rental car or someone hits your car when it’s parked.
- Emergency Roadside Assistance: With this coverage, we can help get your car towed if it breaks down. We can also bring you gas if you run out or pay for a new battery if yours dies on the road.
- Increased Rental Car Reimbursement coverage: We’ll help you pay for a rental car if your car is no longer drivable due to a covered accident.
- Medical Payments coverage: This coverage can help pay for things like doctor’s visits, ambulance fees and dental procedures for you and your passengers if you’re in a car accident.
Common Questions About Auto Insurance in Austin, TX
How Much Does Car Insurance Cost in Austin?
Car insurance rates in Austin are slightly less expensive than the average cost for full coverage in Texas. The cost of car insurance in the capital city is about $1,796 per year, which is a little lower than the state average of $1,823.3
Car insurance companies determine your average annual premium based on many factors, like where you live, what kind of car you drive and your driving record.
What Happens if the Person At-Fault in an Accident Has No Insurance in Texas?
If you’re in an accident with someone who doesn’t have insurance, you’ll have to pay out-of-pocket for the damage to your car. According to a 2021 Insurance Research Council report, 8.3% of Texas drivers are uninsured.4
While this is below the national average of 12.6%, you may also want to consider buying Uninsured Motorist coverage
in case you’re in an accident with someone who doesn’t have car insurance.
Do I Need Proof of Auto Insurance in Austin, TX?
Drivers in Austin should keep a copy of their car insurance ID card in the vehicle along with their car registration. If you’re in an accident, a police officer will ask to see your insurance card. With The Hartford mobile app
, you can store your auto insurance ID cards on your phone. For more information, visit Google Play
™ or the App Store
Get Free Car Insurance Quotes for Austin, TX From The Hartford
Learn More About Texas Car Insurance
Last Updated: October 11, 2023
2 Texas Department of Insurance, “Automobile Insurance Guide”
3 Bankrate, “Average Cost of Car Insurance in Texas in 2022”
4 Insurance Information Institute, “Facts + Statistics: Uninsured Motorists”