What Is Accident Forgiveness?
El documento AARP® Auto Insurance
Program from The Hartford1
offers Accident Forgiveness as a benefit to give drivers with a good record a break if they have an accident.‡
How Does Accident Forgiveness Work?
Whether you’re the driver or the passenger, going through an accident can be stressful. Not only do you have to deal with emotions from the collision, but you’ll also have to think about what to do afterwards, including:
- Calling your insurance company to report the accident
- Taking photos of the cars to document any damage
- Getting the necessary information from the other driver
- Contacting a towing company
If all drivers on your car insurance policy have a clean driving record for five consecutive years with The Hartford, you'll qualify for Accident Forgiveness.
How Long Does an Accident Stay on Your Record?
Accidents and tickets generally stay on a driving record for three to five years. That’s why it’s important to be a good driver and practice caution. After this window of time, these accidents or tickets will be removed from your record, you’ll be accident free and your car insurance may go down
. So, if your last collision or ticket was six years ago and you’ve had a clean driving record since, you may see your car insurance premium decrease when you renew.
It’s also important to note that insurance companies look at your driving record when you’re getting a quote. If an accident or ticket shows up on your record, this can raise your rates.
Contact our representatives at 888-546-9099
to determine what coverages you need and to get a car insurance quote.
How Much Does Insurance Go Up After an Accident?
If you’re involved in an accident and are at-fault, your car insurance premium will likely increase if you don’t have first accident forgiveness coverage. However, the total rate increase can vary based on the severity of the accident and your previous driving history. At The Hartford, we know accidents happen and that’s why our insurance offers AARP members the protection they need with important benefits.
- AARP discount: Savings of up to 10% just for being an AARP member.
- AARP Home and Auto Insurance Bundle: Save money when you bundle your auto and home policies.**
- New Car Replacement Coverage:§§ If you total your new car, we’ll replace it with a new one of the same type.
- RecoverCare:§ This coverage can provide reimbursements on home services, like house cleaning, that you’re unable to do after an accident.
- Disappearing Deductible:‡ If you renew your policy, and maintain a clean driving record, your collision insurance deductible can decrease over time.
We’re here to help protect you and other drivers while on the road with the AARP Auto Insurance Program from The Hartford. If you’re involved in an accident, we’ve got your back. Our team can help walk you through the claims process and answer any questions.
Get a Quote for Car Insurance