Are you looking for the best car insurance rates for seniors? At The Hartford, we make it easy for older, more experienced drivers to save money. Get great car insurance rates and discounts through the AARP®
Auto Insurance Program from The Hartford.1
The Hartford has earned our reputation as a trusted provider of car insurance for seniors
Does Car Insurance Increase at Age 70?
Does car insurance go up after 70? And is car insurance cheaper as you get older?
In general, auto insurance rates start to increase as people age. As a group, older drivers are relatively safe drivers. They usually drive fewer miles and modify their habits in poor driving conditions. However, the facts show that as a driver’s age increases, so does the risk of being involved in an accident for every mile driven. That’s why drivers aged 70 and up may pay a higher rate than the average rate for those aged 50-69.
5 Tips for Getting the Best Senior Car Insurance Rates
To save on car insurance rates, senior drivers can:
- Look for a policy designed for seniors: As you age, you’re more likely to find the best car insurance for seniors if you look for policies that are designed for older drivers.
- Take advantage of discounts: Taking advantage of car insurance discounts for seniors is a great way to save money on car insurance. Since 1984, The Hartford has offered great driver discounts and exclusive benefits for AARP members through the AARP Auto Insurance Program from The Hartford.
- Compare quotes: Prices can vary based on different car insurance companies and the way they calculate rates, so comparing quotes can help you determine if you’re getting the right coverage at the right price.
- Bundle your home and car insurance: Bundling home and auto insurance for seniors is an easy way to save. With the AARP Auto and Home Insurance Program from The Hartford, you can save up to save up to 5% on your car insurance and 20% on your renters, condo or home insurance just by bundling.**
- Adjust coverage to meet your needs: Tailoring your coverages can help you make sure you’re getting the full coverage car insurance you need.
Senior Citizen Car Insurance Rates by State
Car insurance by state
can vary in terms of rates and coverage requirements. As an example, we’ll compare the cost of car insurance in New York, Georgia and Florida.
Car insurance in New York
requires that motorists carry bodily injury liability and property damage liability insurance. The required minimum coverage limits in this state are:
- $25,000 for bodily injury, $50,000 for a death of a single person per accident
- $50,000 for bodily injury $100,000 for death of two or more passengers per accident
- $10,000 for property damage per accident
On average, motorists in New York can expect to pay around $1,445 a year in car insurance premiums, according to the Insurance Information Institute (III).3
Car insurance in Georgia
also includes requirements for bodily injury liability and property damage liability insurance. However, the coverage limits differ in this state. In Georgia, the minimum limits are:
- $25,000 for bodily injury, per person per accident
- $50,000 for bodily injury, total per accident
- $25,000 for property damage per accident
The average cost of car insurance in Georgia is around $1,259 per year, according to the III.4
Compared to New York and Georgia, car insurance in Florida
varies in requirements. In this state, drivers are required to carry Personal Injury Protection (PIP) and Property Damage Liability (PDL) at the following minimum coverage limits:
- PIP coverage: $10,000 per person
- PDL coverage: $10,000 per accident
According to the III, the average annual cost for car insurance in Florida is $1,414.5
Your car insurance cost is unique to you. The best way to learn about required coverages and costs in your state is to obtener una cotización
Get a Quote for the Best Car Insurance Rates for Seniors
The Hartford prides ourselves on being a trusted insurance company for seniors. For over 35 years, we’ve delivered great discounts and customer service to AARP members through the AARP Auto Insurance Program from The Hartford.
To learn more about the benefits and savings available to you, call 888-546-9099
or get a quote online today.
Last Updated: October 5, 2022
2 Bankrate, “Auto insurance rates by age in 2022”
3,4,5 Insurance Information Institute (III), “Facts + Statistics: Auto Insurance”