We’ve partnered with Tivly to help you get the coverage you’re looking for.
¿Busca una cobertura de seguro para negocios?
Get the Coverage You Need for Commercial Auto Insurance in Louisiana
If your small business owns or operates any vehicles for business, you’ll need to have commercial auto insurance in Louisiana to help protect you and your employees. Commercial auto insurance, also known as commercial vehicle insurance, helps cover property damage costs, legal fees and medical expenses if you or one of your employees gets into an accident while driving a company vehicle for business.
Protect Your Business With Commercial Vehicle Insurance in Louisiana
The best way to safeguard your business is to have the right types of seguro de negocio so that you’re protected against unexpected events. In the state of Louisiana, all businesses who own company vehicles that are used for business purposes are required to have commercial auto insurance. If your business operates any commercial vehicles, you’re at risk of facing expensive legal fees and lawsuits after a car accident – even if you’re not at fault. Commercial auto insurance can also help cover the costs of repairs and medical expenses if you or one of your employees get into an accident while driving for work.
Keep in mind that commercial auto insurance is different from personal auto insurance. Personal auto insurance coverage only applies to vehicles that you drive for personal reasons, like running household errands or commuting to and from work. You’ll need commercial auto insurance to cover vehicles you or your employees use for job duties, like picking up supplies or making deliveries.
If you’re wondering, “What is commercial auto insurance?” our specialists are here to help. Call us at 855-860-9763 to get a free quote from The Hartford.
What Does Louisiana Commercial Auto Insurance Cover?
In Louisiana, commercial auto insurance policies commonly include the following coverages:
- Bodily Injury Liability Insurance Coverage helps pay for the other driver’s medical expenses if you or one of your employees causes an accident.
- Property Damage Liability Insurance Coverage helps pay for damage that you or your employees cause to someone else’s property.
- Drive Other Car Coverage covers your business’ executive officers and their spouses if they drive vehicles that aren’t on your commercial auto insurance policy.
- Collision Coverage helps pay to fix or replace your business’ car if you hit something, like another car or pole.
- Comprehensive Coverage can help pay for damages caused by theft, fire or natural disasters.
- Medical Payments Coverage can help pay for medical expenses for your employees and their passengers in the event of an accident, such as medical treatments and rehabilitations, dental care or funerals.
- Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage helps pay for you or your employees’ medical expenses or to fix your car if you get into an accident with another driver who lacks enough liability coverage or is uninsured.
- Hired and non-owned auto insurance offers lawsuit liability coverage if you or your employees are involved in an accident with a personal, rented or leased car that was used for business errands. However, this type of commercial vehicle insurance coverage will not pay for damages to the personal, rented or leased car.
Who Needs Commercial Vehicle Insurance in Louisiana?
There are many types of small businesses that can benefit from having commercial auto insurance in Louisiana. Some of the most common industries that typically need commercial auto insurance include:
If your business uses any types of vehicles for business purposes, like cars, pickup trucks, box trucks or commercial vans, commercial vehicle coverage will help safeguard your operations. Some examples of commercial auto coverage for certain types of vehicles include:
Box Truck Insurance
Box truck insurance is a type of commercial auto insurance that’s designed specifically for businesses that use box trucks or straight trucks for work purposes.
Commercial Van Insurance
Commercial van insurance is a type of commercial auto insurance that protects your company-owned vans used for business.
Louisiana Commercial Auto Insurance Requirements
In Louisiana, all vehicles are required by state law to have a minimum amount of liability insurance coverage. Louisiana’s minimum liability coverage limits for both personal and commercial auto insurance are:1
- $15,000 for bodily injury to one person
- $30,000 for bodily injury to more than one person in a single accident
- $25,000 for property damage to someone else’s vehicle or property
Keep in mind that these minimum limits can vary depending on the types of vehicles your business uses. Your insurance agency may recommend higher liability coverage limits based on your industry and the types of vehicles you own.
In addition to commercial auto insurance coverage, you may need other types of business insurance in Louisiana. Be sure to check with your local laws to find out what other types of insurance you’ll need to protect your business.
How Much Does Commercial Auto Insurance Cost in Louisiana?
Your commercial auto insurance cost in Louisiana depends on your industry and the types of vehicles your business operates. There are several other factors that may influence the cost of your auto insurance coverage, like the:
- Type of business you have
- Type of vehicles your employees drive
- Driving records of your employees
- Typical travel radius driven
- Type of load company vehicles typically carry
- Location of your company
Louisiana Commercial Auto Insurance Frequently Asked Questions
What Is the Difference Between Commercial and Personal Auto Insurance?
Commercial auto insurance covers your company-owned vehicles used for business reasons, while personal auto insurance offers coverage for your personal vehicles that are driven for personal reasons. Typically, all your business’ employees with valid licenses would receive coverage under a commercial auto policy as additional insureds. In addition, your commercial auto policy typically offers more comprehensive coverages, like higher limits and liability coverages, that you won’t see in a personal auto policy.
Who Is Covered Under a Commercial Auto Policy?
A commercial auto insurance policy covers the business owner and any employees with valid driver’s licenses who drive your company-owned vehicles for business purposes. Your family members are typically not covered under your commercial auto insurance policy unless they are employees or they have your permission as the insured to use the vehicle.
What Is Considered a Commercial Vehicle in Louisiana?
Any vehicles like cars, pickup trucks or box trucks that your small business owns and uses for work purposes are considered commercial vehicles. Also, if you or your employees use any personal vehicles for job duties, like picking up supplies or making deliveries, these vehicles can be protected under commercial auto insurance, too.
Is Business Insurance Required in Louisiana?
State law requires that all employers have Louisiana workers' compensation insurance if they have at least one employee, and commercial auto insurance if they use any vehicles for work. Although these are the minimum state requirements, it’s a good idea to have other types of Louisiana business insurance to make sure your business is fully protected. Many small business owners start with a Business Owner’s Policy (BOP), which combines business property and business liability insurance into one convenient policy.
Get a Free Quote for Louisiana Commercial Auto Insurance
We make it easy for you to get a fast and free quote for commercial auto insurance in Louisiana. We’re an insurance company backed by more than 200 years of experience helping over 1 million small businesses get the protection they need. Llame al 855-860-9763 to get a free quote for commercial auto insurance from The Hartford today.
Additional Louisiana Commercial Insurance Coverages
Last Updated: 10/26/2023
1 Louisiana Department of Insurance, “Consumers Guide to Auto Insurance.”
Divulgaciones adicionales a continuación.