Get the Coverage You Need for Commercial Auto Insurance in Pennsylvania
If you’re a small business owner in Pennsylvania wondering, “What is commercial auto insurance?
” we’re here to help. Commercial auto insurance, also known as commercial vehicle coverage, business auto or commercial car insurance, helps cover property damage costs and medical expenses if you or one of your employees is involved in a motor vehicle accident while driving a company-owned car for business. In the Keystone State, you are required to protect your business with commercial auto insurance if your company depends on vehicles to do business.
Keep in mind that commercial auto insurance is different from personal auto insurance. Personal auto insurance coverage only applies to vehicles that you drive for personal reasons, like running household errands or commuting to and from work. You’ll need commercial auto insurance to cover vehicles you or your employees use for job duties, like picking up supplies or making deliveries.
What Are Pennsylvania Commercial Auto Insurance Requirements?
Pennsylvania state law requires all small businesses with company-owned vehicles to have commercial auto insurance coverage. In Pennsylvania, commercial auto insurance policies must have a minimum liability limit of $15,000 per person, $30,000 per accident for bodily injury and $5,000 for property damage (i.e., 15/30/5).1
Keep in mind that these minimum limits can vary depending on the types of vehicles your business uses.
You may also be required to have Personal Injury Protection (PIP), also known as no-fault insurance. This coverage helps pay for medical expenses, lost wages or funeral costs after an accident, no matter who is at fault.
What Types of Businesses Need Commercial Auto Insurance in Pennsylvania?
If your Pennsylvania business uses cars, pickup trucks, box trucks, commercial vans or other types of vehicles for work purposes, you’ll need to safeguard your operations with commercial auto insurance.
Box Truck Insurance
Box truck insurance
is a type of commercial auto insurance that’s designed for businesses that use box trucks or straight trucks for work purposes.
Commercial Van Insurance
Commercial van insurance
is a type of commercial auto insurance that protects your company-owned vans used for business.
What Does Commercial Auto Insurance in PA Cover?
If your business depends on any company vehicles to get the job done, you’ll need commercial car insurance to keep you and your employees protected. In PA, commercial auto insurance policies commonly include the following coverages:
- Bodily Injury Liability Insurance Coverage helps pay for the other driver’s medical expenses if you or one of your employees causes an accident.
- Property Damage Liability Insurance Coverage pays for damage that you or your employees cause to someone else’s property.
- Drive Other Car Coverage covers your business’ executive officers and their spouses if they drive vehicles that aren’t on your commercial auto insurance policy.
- Collision Coverage helps pay to fix or replace your business’ car if you hit something, like another car or pole.
- Comprehensive Coverage can help pay for damages caused by theft, fire or natural disasters.
- Medical Payments Coverage can help pay for medical expenses for your employees and their passengers in the event of an accident, such as medical treatments and rehabilitations, dental care or funerals.
- Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage helps pay for you or your employees’ medical expenses or to fix your car if you get into an accident with another driver who lacks enough liability coverage or is uninsured.
- Hired and non-owned auto insurance offers lawsuit liability coverage if you or your employees are involved in an accident with a personal, rented or leased car that was used for business errands. However, this type of commercial vehicle insurance coverage won’t pay for damages to the personal, rented or leased car.
How Much Does Commercial Auto Insurance in Pennsylvania Cost?
Your commercial auto insurance cost in Pennsylvania depends on your industry and the types of vehicles your business operates. There are several other factors that may influence the cost of your auto insurance coverage, like the:
- Type of business you have
- Type of vehicle your employee drives
- Driving records of your employees
- Typical travel radius driven
- Type of load the company vehicle typically carries
- Location of your company
Common Professions That Need Commercial Vehicle Insurance in Pennsylvania
There are many different types of businesses that can benefit from having commercial auto insurance in Pennsylvania. The most common industries that need commercial auto insurance to protect their company vehicles include: