Home Insurance in Texas
Homeowners in the Lone Star State can deal with all kinds of different challenges including:
- Fire or lightning
- Wind or hail
These events can cause significant damage to your home, no matter where you live. At The Hartford, we’re here to help keep your house protected, no matter where you call home in Texas. Whether it’s Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, Austin or anywhere in-between, The Hartford’s Homeowner's Insurance
is ready to help protect your home from financial loss.
Texas Homeowners Insurance Average Costs
Según la Insurance Information Institute
(III), the average cost of a homeowners insurance premium in Texas is $1,991, which is 54% higher than the national average of $1,289. This makes Texas the second most expensive state in the country for home insurance.
In 2020, direct premiums written by insurance companies in Texas totaled over $63.8 billion. During the same year, insurance company claims payments in Texas were $36.6 billion (as measured by direct property or casualty incurred losses).2
According to the III, there are many different factors which can influence the premiums you pay for insurance in Texas, like:
- Your home's total square footage. The more significant the house, the higher the premiums will be
- The building costs in your area and your home's construction type including premium materials and unique features
- The local crime rates of your city, especially near where you live
- The likelihood of certain types of disasters such as hurricanes, tornadoes or flooding3
Types of Texas Homeowner’s Insurance
Unlike Seguro para automóviles en Texas
, homeowners insurance isn't usually required by law in the state. However, if you finance your home with a mortgage in Texas, your mortgage lender will likely require some sort of home insurance coverage
Texas homeowners policies from The Hartford come with a wide array of coverages. Here are a few Texas home insurance coverages and what The Hartford generally considers covered property:
helps protect your Texas home and the structures directly attached to it. Your dwelling coverage can help protect your Texas home inside and out when it’s damaged in a covered loss. This includes your roof, siding, walls, flooring, heating and air conditioning.
helps protect your personal belongings such as furniture, clothing and electronics.
helps cover your legal defense against a liability claim or lawsuit. This coverage can also help pay for damages that you’re held liable for. For example, if your neighbor trips on a loose floorboard and gets injured, your personal liability insurance can help cover the costs.
More Texas Homeowner’s Insurance Coverages:
- Homeowners equipment breakdown coverage helps cover mechanical or electrical breakdowns of your appliances and electronics. Keep in mind that normal wear and tear is excluded. This benefit also provides coverage if you want to make “green” upgrades. It pays up to 125% of your cost to replace any covered equipment with items that are similar, but more energy efficient or environmentally friendly.
- Other structures coverage helps protect structures on your property that are not directly attached to your home. For example, if your detached garage is damaged from a fire or vandalism, this coverage can help pay the repair costs.
- Loss of use coverage helps cover your additional living expenses while your home is unlivable and in the process of being repaired. For example, if your home is under repair and you have to stay in a hotel for a week, your loss of use coverage can help pay the bill.
- Medical payments helps protect you if someone is injured on your property. For instance, if someone slips and falls in your backyard, medical payments coverage can help with the costs associated with the injury. Regardless of whether you are legally responsible, your medical payments coverage will only cover bills up to your policy limits.4\
- “New for old” protection‡‡ allows for reimbursement of an item at today’s cost to replace the damaged item with a like, kind and quality item.
- Valuable items blanket coverage provides extra coverage for your jewelry, china, crystal, silverware, guns and more. While your homeowners policy may cap coverage for theft on jewelry up to $1,500, The Hartford’s Valuable Items Blanket Coverage can increase the limit to $10,000 per item.
- Rental property protection plus provides protection for you if you’re a landlord for up to four family rental units.
Texas Home Insurance Discounts
There are many ways to save on your homeowners insurance in Texas. At The Hartford, we offer several types of homeowner's insurance discounts to help lower your premiums.
Bundled Insurance Discount
If you already have a car insurance policy with The Hartford, bundling it with your Texas homeowners insurance means you'll qualify for our bundled policy discount.5 With this discount you’ll be able to save up to 5% on your car insurance and up to 20% on your home insurance.
Check out some of the cities we specialize in:
Home Security Discount
At The Hartford, we want to reward you for taking the initiative on protecting your home. That’s why installing devices such as burglar alarms and sprinkler systems can help lower your premium.
Speak with one of our specialists to see what you can save. Call us at 800-624-5578
to get started.
2 Insurance Information Institute, “A Firm Foundation: How Insurance Supports the Economy”
3 Insurance Information Institute, “Facts and Statistics: Homeowners and Renters Insurance”
4 Medical benefits are calculated on the basis of usual, customary, and reasonable charges.
5 Automobile/Homeowners discount is available only to policyholders who have both their auto and home (or condo or renters) insurance through the AARP Auto & Home Insurance Programs from The Hartford. El producto para propietarios de viviendas no está disponible en todas las áreas, entre las que se incluye el estado de Florida.