Create a comprehensive commercial property policy to help protect your small business.
Years Proudly Serving Our Customers
Small Business Customers
ETHISPHERE: World's Most Ethical Company**
What Is Commercial Property Insurance?
Commercial property insurance helps protect your owned or rented building, plus the tools and equipment you use to operate your business. It covers losses from many sources, such as:
For home-based business owners, this type of commercial insurance provides more coverage than homeowners insurance. You may have heard other names for this type of insurance, like:
- Commercial building insurance
- Business personal property insurance
- Commercial real estate insurance
- Non-residential building insurance
How Does Business Property Insurance Work and What Does It Cover?
Commercial building insurance helps protect your business’ physical assets, such as your:
- Personal property
It also includes business interruption insurance, which will help replace your lost income in case you can’t operate your business because of covered property damage.
Who Needs Commercial Property Insurance?
Commercial property insurance can help your business if:
- A fire damages or destroys your computers
- Lightning strikes a building that has business renters’ insurance coverage
- Someone breaks into your building and steals your inventory
How Much Is Commercial Property Insurance?
Customers of The Hartford pay about $1,500 a year on average for commercial property insurance.2 However, your commercial insurance cost may be higher or lower than that amount depending on factors like:
- Location: If your business is located in a populated area that has higher risk for crime or vandalism, you may pay a higher rate.
- Construction: Materials used in the construction of your business can impact your commercial property insurance cost. For example, buildings made from fire-resistant materials will typically cost less to insure.
- Occupancy: Businesses with larger amounts of people consistently on the premises, like restaurants, will likely pay higher insurance costs.
- Fire and threat protection: Installing safety features like smoke detectors and burglar alarms at your business may help lower your rate.
How Do You Value Commercial Property for Insurance?
Insurance companies value commercial property in three ways:
What Doesn’t Property Insurance for Commercial Buildings Cover?
Be aware that your commercial property insurance policy doesn’t cover every type of property damage. This coverage can’t help your business if:
- Your customer drops their laptop when they trip over a box in your office
- One of your employees puts a hole in your client’s wall
- You get into an accident while making a delivery to a customer and damage your vehicle
- A nearby brook overflows after a heavy rainfall causes flooding near your building and damages your inventory
- You or your employees intentionally damage property
You can get other types of commercial insurance to give your business more protection against these kinds of claims. Get an insurance quote today and see how you can protect your business best.
Bundle Commercial Property Insurance With Essential Coverage Through a Business Owner’s Policy (BOP)
You can get commercial property insurance as a standalone policy. But many small businesses choose to get a Business Owner’s Policy (BOP), which combines three types of essential coverage, including:
Seguro de propiedades comerciales
Commercial property insurance helps protect your business’ building and tools that you use to operate.
Seguro general contra terceros
General liability insurance helps cover claims that your business caused:
- Lesiones corporales
- Daños a la propiedad
- Reputational harm, like libel or slander
Seguro para ingresos comerciales
Business income insurance, or business interruption insurance, helps replace lost income if you can’t operate because of covered property damage.
Learn How To Reduce Your Risk Exposure
There are ways you can reduce your company’s risk exposure. For example, you can create a plan to regularly examine and test your company’s alarm and sprinkler systems in your building or home office. Regular checks give you an opportunity to fix any issues and make sure you’re prepared if a disaster strikes.
Bigger companies that need large business property insurance can also work with our Ingeniería de riesgo team. Our consultants can help these large businesses:
- Create a safe work environment
- Reduce loss
- Improve operations
Commercial Property Insurance for Your Business
We offer a wide range of insurance to help protect your company. You can combine your commercial property insurance with different types of coverage.
Common Questions About Commercial Real Estate Insurance
Get answers to some frequently asked questions about commercial property insurance.
Do I Need Commercial Property Insurance?
If you own, rent or lease commercial property of any kind, then you should have commercial property insurance. Without it, you’d be responsible for paying the costs to fix or replace your damaged business property. Your policy can provide the replacement cost value, actual cash value or market value for your business property.
What Is Evidence of Commercial Property Insurance?
What Are the Different Types of Commercial Insurance?
What Is the Standard Deductible in a Commercial Property Insurance Policy?
Deductible amounts can vary and can range from a couple hundred to a few thousand dollars. You’ll choose a deductible amount when you get your commercial property insurance policy. Generally, if you pick a higher deductible, it’ll lower your commercial property insurance cost.
Check your policy if you’re unsure how much your current commercial property insurance deductible is.
Comentarios de los clientes
“Quick, efficient, patient, [empathized] with my situation, explained the process thoroughly, resolved the issue quickly.”
“The rep was amazing, very helpful with all phases of my claim.”
“The Hartford quickly responded and paid for the equipment replacement as well as for the lost income our business suffer[ed].”
“The Hartford is so efficient with handling the claim process.”
“The entire process was very simple, easy to understand and the pay-out of the claim was both fair and quick.”
“Very prompt, courteous and professional. Highly recommend The Hartford to anyone looking for insurance.”