Why Employees May Need Hospital Indemnity Insurance
Hospital Indemnity insurance provides employees with cost-efficient financial protection that helps them manage rising health care costs.
Often, Health Savings Accounts (HSA) simply aren’t enough to cover all expenses given how quickly medical bills can add up. Even for a one-day hospital stay, the average cost is $2,517.1 In fact, about a quarter of U.S. adults (26%) say they or a household member have had problems paying medical bills in the past year.2 That’s where our Hospital Indemnity insurance plan can help.
What Hospital Indemnity Insurance Covers3
As part of our base plan, our guaranteed issue4 Hospital Indemnity (HI) insurance provides a competitive range of first day confinement and daily confinement benefit amounts. We offer both HSA5 and non-HSA-compatible HI plan designs.
Optional benefits, like coverage for medical-related travel expenses or expenses incurred for family care (adults, children, or pets), are also available:
- First Day ICU confinement (HSA-compatible)
- Family Care Coverage (HSA-compatible): Travel, lodging, family or pet care
- Other Medical Care Facility Coverage (non-HSA-compatible): Rehabilitation, hospice or inpatient mental health/substance use
- Additional Care Coverage (non-HSA-compatible): Air/ground/water ambulance coverage or outpatient diagnostic exam(s)
- Medical Professional Care Coverage (non-HSA-compatible): Outpatient therapy, urgent care or home health services
Behavioral Health and Substance Support Benefits
More than 40% of U.S. adults report struggling with mental health or substance use.6
While standard plans typically include limitations and exclusions for the treatment of mental health and substance use disorders, we’ve designed our benefits to focus on these specific conditions. Our Behavioral Health and Substance Support Benefits offer additional coverage beyond traditional confinement that helps provide financial and recovery assistance for mental health and substance use (drug and/or alcohol) treatment.
Here’s what’s eligible for coverage:3
- Hospital Confinement
- Hospital Observation/Short Stay
- Mental and Nervous Disorder Facility Confinement
- Substance Use Facility Confinement
- Mental and Nervous Disorder Outpatient
- Substance Use Outpatient
- Medical Travel
Hospital Indemnity Insurance Is Flexible
With our extensive, flexible coverage options, you can design a plan best suited for your employees by choosing from both HSA-compatible5 and non-HSA-compatible plans.
HI can be layered with other supplemental health benefits7
from The Hartford’s Employee Choice BenefitsSM
suite, such as Beneficios por enfermedad crítica
(CI) and Accidente
(AI) insurance. There are no offsets applied to HI benefits. So, in the event of a covered illness or injury, the covered employee’s benefit can be maximized.
Other flexible features include:
- Coverage for illness and injury, or coverage for illness only
- 100% employee-paid, cost sharing and employer-paid funding options available
- Multiple coverage configurations:
- Four tiers (Employee only, Employee and Spouse, Employee and Child, Family)
- Three tiers (Employee only, Employee and Dependent, Family)
- Two tiers (Employee only, Family)
- One tier (Employee only)
- Optional riders, including Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D), Critical Illness (CI), Term Life (TL) and Short-Term Care (STC)
- Day-1 coverage, including Pregnancy with Pre-Existing Condition removal3
Get the facts
about Hospital Indemnity plans from The Hartford’s Employee Choice Benefits.SM