What Is Tow Truck Insurance?
If your company uses tow trucks for business, it’s crucial to protect your vehicles with the right type of el seguro comercial para automóviles
. Tow truck operators are always there when we need them most, but they often face unique risks while out on the road. If you own a tow truck business, having tow truck insurance can help safeguard your operations against unexpected accidents on the job. This type of insurance protects against common risks that towing companies face, like third party claims of property damage and bodily injury.
While The Hartford does not offer commercial tow truck insurance at this time, we've partnered with Tivly
to help you get the coverage you’re looking for.
Tow Truck Insurance Requirements
Tow truck drivers are needed 24/7. Don’t let an unexpected accident or costly claim slow your business down. It’s vital to make sure your business has the tow truck insurance requirements it needs to stay protected on the job. Although requirements will vary by state, it’s a good idea to have these tow truck insurance coverages:
- General Liability Insurance Coverage
- Medical Payments Insurance
- Physical Damage Coverage
- Uninsured Motorist Insurance Coverage
Types of Commercial Tow Truck Insurance
Although coverage availability and requirements will vary by state, common types of commercial tow truck insurance coverages include:
- Liability Insurance Coverage helps cover claims of property damage and bodily injury if you or your employees get into an accident while using a company-owned tow truck for business purposes.
- Collision Coverage, which is a type of physical damage coverage that helps pay for repairs or replacement costs for your company’s tow truck if you hit something, like a car or a pole.
- Medical Payments Coverage to help pay for medical bills for your employees and their passengers in the event of an accident. These include costs for medical treatments and rehabilitations, dental care or funerals.
- Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Insurance, which helps cover your or your employees’ medical expenses or costs to fix your car if you get into an accident with another driver who doesn’t have enough liability coverage or is uninsured.
Additional Coverages for Towing and Storage Businesses
Coverage for commercial towing and storage businesses is similar to standard commercial auto insurance, but there are some truck-specific coverages you can add to your policy, including:
Garagekeepers Legal Liability Insurance
Garagekeepers Legal Liability insurance is a type of physical damage coverage that’s designed to protect your customer’s vehicle while you are keeping it at a covered location for storing, parking or other services. This insurance will cover the cost of physical damage to the car in your care if it’s caused by fire, collision, theft or vandalism. If you own a towing service company and keep customers’ vehicles on your property, it’s a good idea to have this liability coverage.
On-Hook Towing Insurance
If you are a tow truck business, you will need On-Hook Towing insurance to protect you while you are towing vehicles that are owned by a third-party. On-Hook Towing insurance can help pay to repair or replace a customer’s vehicle if it’s damaged by a collision, fire, theft or vandalism while your business is towing or hauling it.
Tow General Liability Insurance
Tow General Liability insurance helps financially protect your tow truck business if you’re held liable for bodily injury or property damage to a customer or third-party. This coverage may also help pay for your court costs and legal fees. Some states require all tow truck drivers and companies to have this type of coverage, so be sure to check with your local laws.
Who Needs Tow Truck Insurance?
The following types of businesses may need commercial tow truck insurance to help protect their operations:
- Tow truck companies
- Tow truck drivers
- Roadside service providers
- Autobody shops
- Rotational towing
How Much Is Tow Truck Insurance?
What you pay for commercial tow truck insurance can be influenced by your:
- Type and size of tow truck(s)
- Coverages you add to your policy
- Employee’s driving records
Tow truck insurance helps you have peace of mind knowing you can maintain your company’s financial stability if something happens. The best way to find out how much tow truck insurance will cost you is to get a quote.
Get Tow Truck Insurance
With so much time spent driving your tow truck, it’s crucial to have the right type of tow truck insurance to protect you and your employees. Find coverage you can count on and get a quote for tow truck insurance
through our partner, Tivly.
Additional Types of Trucking Insurance
If your business operates other types of trucks, there are additional types of commercial truck insurance coverages that are available to you, like:
- Semi Truck Insurance: This insurance helps cover semi trucks and the loads they haul.
- Box Truck Insurance: This coverage is designed to protect box or straight trucks used for business.
- Dump Truck Insurance: If you use dump trucks to transport materials like dirt, sand or gravel, this insurance can help you stay protected.
- Tractor Trailer Insurance: If you run a trucking company or own a tractor trailer for business, this coverage can help safeguard your business while on the road.
Última actualización: 8 de septiembre de 2023
Divulgaciones adicionales a continuación.