Protect Your Home With Homeowner Insurance in Connecticut
Living in the Constitution State means enjoying sunny days during the spring and summer, beautiful foliage in the fall, but freezing temperatures in the winter. With each season, your home faces the risk of property damage – whether it’s from rain or snow. The Hartford understands that Connecticut homeowners face unique risks, which is why we offer customized policies for homeowners insurance in CT. It doesn’t matter if you live close to the city or near the woods, the AARP®Seguro de vivienda
Program from The Hartford can help protect your home and belongings.1
When it comes to homeowners insurance quotes
, we make it easy. You can tailor your policy with coverages that meet your needs. Contact our specialists for help or to get your customized insurance quote.
What Does Connecticut Home Insurance Cover?
Home insurance in CT can help protect your house and personal property from different risks, such as:
If your house or belongings are damaged from a covered loss, this insurance can help cover your repair or replacement costs. Without it, you’d have to pay out of pocket for these costs.
With the AARP Homeowners Insurance Program from The Hartford, your policy includes standard homeowners insurance coverages, such as:
- La cobertura de vivienda to help protect your home and the structures directly attached to it. This includes your floors, walls or an attached garage.
- Personal property, which helps protect your belongings and appliances.
- Responsabilidad, which helps protect you if someone is injured on your property and you’re found legally responsible.
- Other structures, which helps cover property not attached to your home, such as a shed or fence.
- Medical payments to help cover medical costs for someone that was injured while on your property, regardless of fault.2
- Loss of use to help pay for your living expenses if you can’t live in your home due to covered property damage.
Additional Coverages Recommended for CT Homeowners
Other optional home insurance coverages that may be beneficial to Connecticut homeowners include:
- Valuable items blanket coverage, which provides extra protection for your valuable items, like jewelry or silverware. This coverage increases your insurance limit to $10,000 per item.
- Equipment breakdown coverage to help cover your costs to repair or replace home systems, like heating and air conditioning, after an electrical or mechanical breakdown. It also provides coverage if you want to make “green” upgrades. It pays up to 125% of your cost to replace any covered equipment with items that are similar, but more energy efficient or environmentally friendly. Keep in mind that coverage does not protect against normal wear and tear.
- Additional Limits coverage, which helps pay to rebuild your home if it’s a total loss at up to 125% of your policy limits.
Most standard homeowners insurance policies don’t cover flood damage. However, you can purchase seguro contra inundaciones
as a separate policy if your community is part of the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP).
Is Homeowners Insurance Required in CT?
Connecticut doesn’t require residents to carry homeowners insurance. However, if you have a mortgage, your lender will likely require coverage until you pay off your loan.
Even though you aren’t required to have homeowner insurance in Connecticut, it’s smart to get it. If your home gets damaged, the repair or rebuilding costs can be significant. Without coverage, this can put you and your family at financial risk.
Connecticut Homeowners Insurance Rates
The average Connecticut home insurance rate is $1,244, which is slightly less expensive than the national average of $1,428.3
It’s important to remember that homeowners insurance rates
vary. Every home owner has unique needs, and different factors can impact your specific cost.
Factors That Impact the Cost of Homeowners Insurance in CT
When you get a quote for homeowners insurance in CT, insurers look at a variety of factors to determine your cost. These can include your:
- Geographic location: For example, insurance companies may look at whether your home is located near a body of water or inland.
- Home’s age: Older homes may increase homeowners insurance rates.
- Home’s replacement cost: The more it costs to replace your home after a covered loss, the higher your homeowners insurance rate will be.
- Claims history: Your homeowners insurance cost could be higher if you’ve submitted a number of claims.
- Home’s construction materials: The materials used in the construction of your home may affect your homeowners insurance cost.
- Swimming pools: Owning a swimming pool can have an impact on your rate.
Other policy details, like additional coverages or having a higher deductible, can also impact your home insurance cost. Because your policy is specific to you, your rate may be different than the average cost in Connecticut. The best way to find out how much you’ll have to pay for homeowners insurance in Connecticut is to get a quote.
Discounts and Benefits for Homeowners Insurance in CT
AARP members can enjoy special home insurance discounts
benefits through the AARP Homeowners Insurance Program from The Hartford. Through this program, you can save on Connecticut home insurance rates by:
- Bundling your insurance policies to save up to 5% on car insurance and 20% on your home, condo or renters insurance4
- Increasing fire protection by installing sprinkler systems
- Making home security changes, like adding burglar alarms or monitored security systems
Wind Mitigation Credit
You may qualify for a wind mitigation credit, which can reduce your homeowners insurance policy cost. We offer this credit to policyholders with homes that have building features to help protect from wind damage.
To get this credit, you will need to complete a wind loss mitigation form.
The Hartford Insurance Coverage in Connecticut
Learn about other options for insurance coverage in Connecticut:
Get a Quote for Home Insurance in CT
Not all homeowners insurance companies are the same. We’re an insurance company backed with experience and we’re the only national auto and home insurance program endorsed by AARP. The Hartford’s claims and customer service specialists regularly get high ratings and they’re here to help you when the unexpected happens.
It doesn’t matter if you live in Greenwich, Mystic, New Haven, Waterbury or anywhere else in the state, we can help protect your Connecticut home. Get a quote
for home insurance in CT today.
Última actualización: 31 de mayo de 2023
2 Los beneficios médicos se calculan según los cargos usuales, habituales y razonables.
3 Bankrate “Average homeowners insurance cost in May 2023”
4 Automobile/Homeowners discount is available only to policyholders who have both their auto and home (or condo or renters) insurance through the AARP® Auto & Home Insurance Programs from The Hartford. El producto para propietarios de viviendas no está disponible en todas las áreas, entre las que se incluye el estado de Florida.
Divulgaciones adicionales a continuación.