What Homeowners Insurance Coverage Protects Against
The unexpected can strike at any moment. That’s why having homeowners insurance is so important. It can help keep your most valued assets covered in an emergency. So, if a strong storm knocks a tree onto your house and causes extensive damage, your homeowners insurance coverage can help cover the cost of repairs. Or, if a large fire breaks out and you lose your house, your homeowners insurance can help rebuild your home. Our homeowners insurance coverage also offers:
- Additional Limits Coverage, which pays the full cost to rebuild your home up to 125% of your coverage limits if it is a total loss. Depending on where you live, an option providing up to 150% of coverage limits may be available.
- ProtectorPLUS Zero Deductible Benefit, which waives your homeowners insurance deductible (up to $5,000) if your home has $27,500 or more in damage. For example, if your hot water heater leaks and causes over $27,500 in damage to your home, the ProtectorPLUS Zero Deductible Benefit would waive your deductible.
What Does Homeowners Insurance Not Cover?
- Normal wear and tear
- Poor workmanship or defective materials
- Birds, vermin, rodents and insects
Types of Homeowners Insurance Coverages Offered by The Hartford
For more protection, we offer many popular coverages to bundle on top of your base homeowners insurance policy.
- “New for Old” Protection:‡‡ If your possessions are destroyed by a covered loss, we’ll help provide the actual cost to replace them with brand new ones of the same kind and quality with Personal Property Replacement Cost. Even if your items are old or not in the best condition at the time of the damage, we’ll help cover the cost to get them replaced.
- Personal Injury Liability coverage: If someone sues you for libel or slander, this coverage helps pay for the potential damages.
- Reimbursement for replacing locks: If your key is lost or stolen, we’ll pay up to $500 to replace your locks, with a $100 deductible.
- Identity Fraud Expense coverage: This coverage helps cover lost income, legal fees and out-of-pocket costs up to certain limits after fraud or identify theft (see your policy for details).
- Disappearing Property Deductible:‡‡ If you’re a home or condo owner, we’ll reduce your deductible by $50 every year once you go three years without having an insurance loss.
- Equipment Breakdown coverage: This helps cover the cost of repairing or replacing appliances and electronics that have a mechanical or electrical breakdown. However, it does not cover normal wear and tear. This benefit also provides coverage if you want to make “green” upgrades. It pays up to 125% of your cost to replace any covered equipment with items that are similar, but more energy efficient or environmentally friendly.
- Green Rebuilding: Increase your policy limits up to 10% when you use environmentally friendly materials or processes for repairs after a covered loss.
- Water Backup and Sump Pump Overflow: If your property is damaged by backed up water or overflow from a sump pump, this can help pay for the repairs. This coverage does not pay for damage from flood or surface water. It also does not cover normal wear and tear.
- Scheduled Personal Property: This covers damages at 100% of the insured value of selected items if they’re damaged or destroyed in a covered loss. Theft and mysterious disappearances are also covered.
- Rental Property Protection Plus: If you’re a landlord, rental property insurance coverage helps insure up to four rental units. Coverages include replacement cost of the rental unit, optional coverage for detached structures, fair rental value, property damage by vandalism or burglars, and damage to lawns, plants and shrubs.
- Cobertura de artículos valiosos coverage ensures you have the coverage you need for lost, damaged or stolen valuables, including jewelry, fine art, golf equipment and many other items.
- Hazard Insurance vs. Home Insurance: Hazard insurance generally refers to coverage for the structure of your home only. Other coverages within your homeowners insurance policy will help pay for different kinds of damage.
What Type of Homeowners Insurance Is Best for Me?
Your home is a valuable investment. That’s why it’s important to get the right coverage from an insurance company that fits your needs. According to the Insurance Information Institute (III), it’s important to have enough home insurance coverage to help:2
- Rebuild your home’s structure
- Protect and replace your belongings
- Cover additional living expenses if you can’t live in your home temporarily
- Protect against personal liability damages
When you have an idea of how much coverage you may need for your specific policy, get a homeowners insurance quote online
fast and easy. Or if you’d like to speak to a homeowners insurance agent, call us at 888-413-8970
and we’d be happy to help.
If you already have a homeowners insurance policy and want to check the details of your policy, you can view or request your homeowners insurance declaration page
, which details your coverages, premium, deductibles, discounts, and more.
Última actualización: 26 de junio de 2023